Based in Zurich, Switzerland
17 May, 2018
FAR: Lone Sails is a vehicle adventure game. In a unique vehicle you travel across a dried-out ocean following the tracks of a once thriving civilization. Through an array of roadblocks and through hazardous weather you need to keep your vessel going. Where will this journey take you? Are you the last of your kind?
FAR: Lone Sails started out in 2015 as Don Schmocker’s bachelor’s thesis at the Zurich University of Arts (ZHdK) in Switzerland. As the game gathered positive reception and some awards during its early stage, Don decided to build upon it and make a real job of it: While still enrolled in the Game Design master’s program at ZHdK, he teamed up with publisher Mixtvision, and gathered a team of fellow students around him to develop a full-fledged game based on his prototype. In 2016, FAR: Lone Sails was invited to the E3 ID@Xbox showcase; its first showing to a wide audience. Following along were quite a few more festivals and expos – including GDC/IGF 2017 and Gamescom 2016 and 2017 – where the game was shown and managed to pick up awards and nominations. Incorporating much of the gathered feedback, the game went through quite a few changes, most notably in regard to the vehicle’s design which became more and more sophisticated. Originally named just ‘FAR’, the game also picked up a subtitle along its way: “Lone Sails”, a pun on the main character’s name Lone (which is actually never mentioned in the game itself) and a suggestion of the game’s atmosphere and most remarkable mode of locomotion. Just like FAR: Lone Sails is about a very special journey, the game itself has traveled far: It was shown all around the world, from Mumbai to L.A. Though its creator Don Schmocker doesn’t even have a driving license, the game accumulated a mileage of close to 60.000 km by now!
- Master your vessel: Maintain and upgrade your vehicle to overcome numerous obstacles and natural hazards.
- Discover a unique world: Explore a desolate dried-out seabed, follow the trails of your people and find relics and buildings, that tell the story of a civilization on the run.
- Experience an atmospheric journey: Let the sky full of clouds pass by and heed the wind that drives your sails towards the horizon.
- A Zombie-free Post-Apocalypse: It’s just you and your machine vs. the big nothing.
Nintendo Switch Teaser Trailer YouTube
PS4 / Xbox One Release Trailer YouTube
Launch Trailer YouTube
Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Pocket Gamer Awards Best Narrative Game 2021 (Nominee)"
- "Pocket Gamer Awards Best Mobile Conversion 2021 (Nominee)"
- "TapTap Award Best Indie Game 2020 (Winner)"
- "Reboot Develop Blue Indie Award Game of the Year 2019 (Winner)"
- "Deutscher Computerspielpreis Best International Game 2019 (Nominee)"
- "Swiss Game Awards Main Prize 2019 (Winner)"
- "Swiss Game Awards Audience Choice Award 2019 (Winner)"
- "Game Developers Choice Awards Best Debut 2019 (Honorable Mention)"
- "TOMMI Kindersoftwarepreis 2019 (Nominee)"
- "Deutscher Entwicklerpreis 2018 Best German Game (Winner)"
- "Deutscher Entwicklerpreis 2018 Best Game-Design (Winner)"
- "Golden Joystick Awards Best Visual Design 2018 (Nominee)"
- "IndieDB Indie of the Year Top Ten 2018"
- "NAVGTR Awards “Game, Puzzle” 2018 (Nominee)"
- "Dreamhack Atlanta Winter Art Gallery Official Selection 2018"
- "Into the Pixel Selection 2018"
- "QUO VADIS Indie Award Audience Award 2018 (Winner)"
- "QUO VADIS Indie Award Jury Award 2018 (Winner)"
- "Unity Awards Best Student Project 2017 (Winner)"
- "GDC Play Best in Play 2017 (Winner)"
- "IGF Best Student Game 2017 (Finalist)"
- "AdoptMyGameAward Best Game 2016 (Winner)"
- "PLAY16 Most Innovative Newcomer Award 2016 (Winner)"
- "Best of Indie Arena Booth 2016 (Winner)"
- "Gamescom Indie Award 2016 (Nominee)"
- "Independent Games Festival Best Student Game 2016 (Honorable Mention)"
- "Ludicious Outstanding Talent Award 2016 (Winner)"
- "Game Connection Europe Best Desktop / Downloadable Game 2015 (Nominee)"
- "Deutscher Entwicklerpreis: Blue Byte Newcomer Award 2015 (Winner)"
- "ZHDK Förderpreis BA Design 2015 (Winner)"
- "Wonderfully eerie and atmospheric, with a painterly grey-hued palette, you discover the stark narrative via ruins and wrecks. A striking game … a subtly moving experience."
- Holly Nielsen, The Guardian
- "Far: Lone Sails is a poem disguised as a video game … The payoff is standing at the prow, watching the fantastical landscape roll by in the background. Rather than perks and unlocks, the reward here is quiet contemplation. … Far is greater than the sum of its parts."
- Charlie Hall, Polygon.com
- "A lonely, contemplative journey across a barren landscape … I really enjoyed it."
- Andy Chalk, PCGamer.com
- "Far: Lone Sails is the kind of game that sticks with you after seeing credits. It delivers a fascinating mystery in a strange land with engaging puzzles, and couples that with a relationship between the player and their oversized mode of transportation. 8.25 / 10"
- Kyle Hilliard, Gameinformer.com
We connect gameplay and atmosphere to create meaningful and breathtaking journeys. Okomotive is an indie game studio based in Zurich, Switzerland. The company was founded in 2017 by Don Schmocker and Goran Saric and is the team behind the «FAR» games.
More information on Okomotive, our logo & relevant media are available here.
FAR: Lone Sails Credits
Co-Founder, Art Director
Co-Founder, Tech Lead
Level Design Lead
Sound Design, Programming